Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Cheeseburger?!

The last few days Dad has been a little more cooperative with the nurses. Although he is still refusing to eat or be bathed! He did request a manicure so we'll see if they followed through with that tonight.

So, yesterday Hospice called and said he had a funny request - he wanted a Cheeseburger! Well, for those of us who know Dad we all know he loves Cheeseburgers and all the comfort foods along with many sweets. However, I take this as a sign of him feeling a bit better. Who knows, it could be a result of the meds that he takes finally kicking in. For awhile he wouldn't be consistent on taking the meds so maybe it is now. He still refuses a lot but at least the yelling outbursts have subsided. When I brought the Cheeseburger over last night he ate the WHOLE THING! I was very impressed by him and happy to see he was feeling well enough to want anything. He had not eaten anything all day. The recent requests for music (which I play every night for him) are of Stan Kenton "Intermission Riff", "Send in the Clowns", "Eager Beaver", Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler "Wind Beneath My Wings", Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole, Kenny G and the song "I Am A Child of God". We play these over and over while I rub his feet.
Tonight I will bring a cheeseburger and HERSHEY'S Sundae Pie from Burger King. After all their their motto is "Have it your way!". Whatever Dad wants I try my best to give him. It's not much - just music, good food, and a foot rub. I mean really what more can we ask for? That's what makes him happy!